Monday, July 21, 2008

Movies #203-208

07/20/2008

207. The Film Crew: Killers from Space (2007)
Other Means
Wooden Peter Graves stars in this one, which doesn't really get to the subject of the title till the last half hour of the movie, this one is so bad that I had to watch it with the Film Crew. As a reminder, the Film Crew is the guys from MST3K reconstituted in a new form, but it plays just like an old episode of MST3K. I can't wait to get my hands on more of these.


208. The Film Crew: Hollywood After Dark (2007)
Other Means
One of the grannies from The Golden Girls stars in her earlier years in this awful trash basket of a film, this one is only palatable with the guys from MST3K there to comfort on the horror that is watching this movie. Watching these is a must for any MST3K fans.

07/19/2008

205. Grey Gardens (1975)
Off DVR, Shown on Sundance (uncut)
So i had watched parts of this movie before but I hadn't ever sat through the entire thing in one sitting, and it's an experience that I'm confident cannot and will not ever be duplicated elsewhere, the sheer amount of weird chemistry that these two ladies generate while we watch them go back and forth almost defies explanation. I know they are releasing a movie based on this later this year, but really there's nothing that can match what's going on here.


206. Doomsday (2008) Unrated
Other Means
I wasn't expecting much from this movie, and that's what I got. This is basically a B-movie retread of Escape From New York and with the ending straight out of Mad Max. There was some nice blood explosions but they were to far apart for this to be considered on the level of farce that I would wanted it to go for. The leader of cyber punk rebels or whatever they call themselves implies the acting by volume technique, the louder you are, the better with no regard for what is being said. I like my share of over the top action movies but this one doesn't go far enough and in the end is just boring.

07/18/2008

204. The Dark Knight (2008)
In Theaters
I had some high expectations going into this film because I a total media blackout on this movie, I had avoided all the trailers and TV ads and even some of the posters for fear or ruining the movie, and it definetly paid off, as you probably already know this movie rocks so hard because you've seen it. Highly Recommended Viewing, if you haven't gone out the theater yet go, don't wait for video.

07/16/2008

203. Session 9 (2001)
Off DVR, Shown on Sundance (widescreen, uncut)
I had been a fan of The Machinist for awhile and I had wanted to see an another Brad Anderson movie, this is his first film and it's amazingly well done for the low-budget roots that he had to work with, the acting is really good, which is surprising for an atmospheric horror film like this. Also David Caruso is in this and he doesn't play a cop, surprise!, but an even bigger surprise is that he doesn't suck in this role also. Worth seeing if you haven't seen any good indie astmospheric horror movies lately, and there aren't any cheap thriller jumps here.

No comments: