Thursday, March 1, 2012

Feburary 2012, Movies #25-35

35. Tokyo Drifter (1966)

Trailer:

Rating:5/10
Review: I know this movie is consider a classic for it's style, but honestly I almost nodded off watching it and that's something I never do. Maybe this will need a revisit from me in a few years.

34. Gandahar (1987)

Trailer:

Rating:8/10
Review: Just as amazing as Rene Laloux's previous two efforts. Must see for all animation aficionados. Highly Recommended

33. Heavy Metal 2000 (2000)

Rating:4/10
Review: Poorly done rehash of one of the segments from the original Heavy Metal, don't waste your time with this sequel and just watch the original.

32. In Time (2011)

Rating:7/10
Review: I enjoyed how well executed the premise was even if a little goofy but ultimately a lot of fun. Timberlake is definitely not the problem with the movie, the problem is that this story is lifted directly from an Ellison short story and no credit was given but plagiarism claims have dogged Andrew Niccol since The Truman Show. There really is a mega-flop type stink that this movie has a reputation for already but it's definitely not that.

31. Underworld Awakening (2012)

Rating:5/10
Review: Um, it was less than 90 minutes and has Kate Beckinsale in leather...those are about the only positive things I can really say about it.

30. Rio (2011)

Rating:6/10
Review: While this wasn't a bad movie, nothing was really special about it either. A few days after watching I had almost forgotten I had seen this which means nothing stuck with me.

29. Time Masters (1984)

Time Masters Trailer:

Rating: 8/10
Review: I love Rene Laloux. His previous movie Fantastic Planet is something that must be seen to be believed. Here Laloux returns with a slightly more evolved animation style and the movie is a little easier to follow than Fantastic Planet and I enjoyed it just as much. All Laloux is a must see. Highly Recommended


28. Memories (1995)

Memories Trailer:

Rating: 7/10
Review: Anime short story compilation film. My favorite shorts are a tie between Stink Bomb and Magnetic Rose.

27. Neo Tokyo (1989)

"The Running Man" segment from Neo Tokyo:

Rating: 7/10
Review: Anime short story compilation film. My favorite short is one that I had been introduced to through Liqiud Television on early 90's MTV, its called The Running Man about a futuristic racing league. I found it on youtube and posted it above.

26. Mad Dog and Glory (1993)

Rating: 6/10
Review: This movie has aged horribly, and has an unintended camp factor to it in that some of the acting is over the top also. It didn't help that during this stage in the late 80's early 90's that every movie seems to have been shot as flat as possible also so its visually uninteresting also. Uma in her early prime on display here.


25. The Rum Diary (2011)

Rating: 7/10
Review: While this can't really compare to Fear and Loathing as a movie, I think that probably lies with the source material being less interesting than Fear and Loathing. Still I found this movie enjoyable and it's good to see Johnny still do a passion project like this between blockbusters.

No comments: